http://www.seniorsoftballstore.com

 
SIGN IN:   Password     »Sign up

Message board   »Message Board home    »Sign-in or register to get started

Online now: 0 members ; 24 anonymous
Change topic:

Discussion: Has the economy quashed your tourney schedule???

Posted Discussion
March 10, 2009
Gary Heifner
248 posts
Has the economy quashed your tourney schedule???
Since we are a Chicago based team, we only play from May to November. We have made 10 events per season in the past. We are going to ATTEMPT to make all 10. However, some of us will be stressed $$$$ wise and might have to miss a few. It will be interesting to see if the # of teams at each event will be down. Has the current economy caused any of you to cut back???
March 10, 2009
jah#4
Men's 55
551 posts
Gary
We (kitrells Softball) going to only play in the southeast not going to travel this year
Don Ward
March 11, 2009
mad dog
Men's 60
3937 posts
i'm in the same boat here in texas,have to pick and choose what i can go to.my team is not to happy about it,but we are not sponsered and we pay for everything.most all of my tourneys would require a 2 nite stay and 200-400 miles one way drive,yes i'm out in the country a ways.

donny you guys shouldn't be allowed out of the southeast anyways,don't want that redneck stuff spreading. :):)
March 11, 2009
Dirty
Men's 50
1375 posts
All very understandable, and yet another reason to reduce classifications, expand age groups, and try to attract more teams and make the expenditures more worthwhile.
March 11, 2009
TexasTransplant
Men's 70
420 posts
We're still maintaining pretty much the same schedule as in past years. I do find myself looking very carefully at costs, however. So far, the wife and I are doing little things: leaving home the morning of the first day of a tournament (even if it means leaving a 5:00am) to avoid an extra night's hotel; carrying sandwhich makings and drinks with us to avoid one or two meals out; just generally trying to tighten up on the expenses a little bit.

One local team that I talked to is cutting back to only 4-5 tournaments.

I think the economy is going to make folks think twice about going to some of the marginal tournaments where the participation, facilities, organization, etc. are less then good.

It will be interesting to see what kind of participation we have this year.
March 11, 2009
Jawood
Men's 50
798 posts
We have cut our travel tournaments from 4 to 3 this year. Hopefully there will be enough Major plus teams to hold a decent tournament. This is another reason why the Major and Major plus classifications should have been combined.
March 12, 2009
Corky
Men's 55
446 posts
Just by being "declared" the winner of a World tournament that was rained out, we were moved up to major. (but thats another story) The economy AND the move has reduced our schedule from 8 to 5, with those being closest to home.
March 13, 2009
ShaneV
Men's 55
382 posts
Our generous sponsor cut back 90% for 2009, and we were not too surprised. We had a backup plan which will help tememdously getting us to 60%. Players fee will have to make up the other 40% in order to do 12-13 tournaments and league. We will stay close to home when it makes sense. We have to go to Portland, Reno and Phoenix to play teams in our class. No local tournaments can attract more than 2-3 50AAA teams. Just don't exist within 200 miles. CA & AZ are not like WA. I expect they have much greater numbers for the smaller local tournaments.
Sign-in to reply or add to a discussion or post your own message and start a new discussion. If you don't have a message board account, please register for a free nickname. It will only take a moment.
Senior Softball-USA
Phone: (916) 326-5303
Fax: (916) 326-5304
2701 K Street, Suite 101A
Sacramento, CA 95816
Send us e-mail
Senior Softball-USA is dedicated to informing and uniting the Senior Softball Players of America and the World. Senior Softball-USA sanctions tournaments and championships, registers players, writes the rulebook, publishes Senior Softball-USA News, hosts International Softball Tours and promotes Senior Softball throughout the world. More than 1.5 million men and women over 40 play Senior Softball in the United States today. »SSUSA History  »Privacy policy

Follow us on Facebook

Partners