|, Nov. 24, 2009|
|Topic: Rules of the game|
Discussion: Why dont teams get to rate umpires ?
I ump, and also play. Umps, just like teams should be rated. That way, the best umps just like the best teams can earn their way to the major tournaments. When they go, they should be fully compensated, room, board, rental car, plane ticket and ofcourse their game fees.
Here's how it can be done:
1) Does the umpire dress properly? Because first "umpressions" count... 10 Points
2) Does the umpire have all his equipment? Indicator, Clock, Brush, Ball Bag, Backpack, extra stuff (in case something breaks or gets misplaced) 10 Points
3) Is the ump consistent? I.E. Strike Zone, Arc, Signalling, Voice, Out/Safe on close plays. If an ump consistently calls a big strike zone or calls "out" on the close plays at first, then teams/players can make an adjustment. 25 Points
4) Does the Ump Hustle? If he's one of these clowns who makes a call from behind home plate when the play is at 2nd (Behind the catcher and blocked by the pitcher), he's doing a disservice to all of the the rest of us. 25 Points
5) Does the umpire have a detailed knowledge of the rules? Or is one of these fools who never read a rulebook? 20 Points
6) Intangibles: Some guys have the right stuff, some guys don't. 10 Points
Total: 100 Points
That's a formula, it ain't perfect, but its a start, modify as y'all see fit.