Online now: 1 member: Dirtball
; 96 anonymous
Discussion: TEAM RATINGS • Guidelines & Procedures (Rev: 12/15/2015)
|Dec. 16, 2015|
|TEAM RATINGS • Guidelines & Procedures (Rev: 12/15/2015)|
Senior Softball-USA Ratings Guidelines
The foundation of the National Senior Softball Rating System is that separating teams by age and skill level will result in safer play and more competitive games.
Therefore, the competitive divisions are separated into 40 Masters and 5-year increments (50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80 and 85) and into four skill levels (AA, AAA, Major and Major-Plus). As of the 2011 season, the Men's 40 became rated and includes three skill levels (AAA, Major and Major-Plus). Additionally, the Women's 40 became rated and includes three skill levels (AA, AAA and Major). As a result of these separations, Senior Softball is the safest division of softball in America.
Team Ratings and appeals are reviewed ONLY two (2) times per year: December and June. SSUSA reserves the right to change a team at any time if it becomes clear the team is too strong or too weak for its current division.
IF A TEAM WANTS ITS RATING REVIEWED IT MUST SUBMIT AN APPEAL FORM
Appeal forms are available at www.seniorsoftball.com under the FORMS tab.
WE WILL NOT REVIEW RATINGS OF TEAMS BASED ON E-MAILS, PHONE CALLS OR LETTERS
A team MUST file a formal appeal to be considered.
Here are the guidelines used by the SSUSA Ratings Committee in changing a team’s rating:
• The Senior Softball-USA Ratings Committee’s First Priority is to protect teams in the lower division. That means if a team is losing by large margins in it’s own division, but beating teams in the lower division by large margins, then the team should remain in its original division in order to protect the lower division.
• Over three (3) tournaments, is the team beating or losing to its opponents in the same age and skill level by an average of five (5) runs or more?
• For AA Teams: are they producing double-digits runs consistently (one of the key indicators of AA teams is that they are inconsistent in run production)
• Here are the guidelines for teams winning the LVSSA/SSUSA World Masters Championships or the SPA World Championships:
A. Teams winning in a division of 6 or more teams may NOT appeal their rating increase in the following Season.
B. Teams winning in a division of 3-5 teams may appeal their rating increase in the following Season after playing in three tournaments.
C. Teams winning in a division of 2 teams will not be moved up.
D. SSUSA reserves the right NOT to move a team up if there is a preponderance of information showing the team should remain in the original skill level.
Other Criteria Considered
• The rating of a new team is determined by the rating/ratings of the teams from which the players came. A team with all new players begins as AAA if no other relevant information is available. If there is a question, the team is assigned to a higher rating.
• A team retains its rating unless it falls below six players from the original team. The new team ranking is then determined by the playing history of the current team members.
• Major-Plus players may only play on Major or Major-Plus teams in the same age division, unless it is determined that the player is not a "key" or "impact" player. This is decided on proven medical circumstances or if the player is determined to be a pickup player for only one tournament for the team. These exceptions are decided on an individual basis and approved in writing by the association.
How the Rating Process Works
Here is the SSUSA process for reviewing team ratings and appeals two times per year (ONLY in December and June):
• We do an internal review of all teams based on all results of games played in SSUSA. The SSUSA database program flags teams that win or lose by an average of five (or more) runs per game for further review.
• We also independently review all teams that have filed appeals, and look at umpire recommendations on Game Cards for the teams and reports from Tournament Directors.
• After that review is complete, we send a list of recommendations to our 12 key SSUSA Directors for their review and comment. When their comments come back, we may modify the recommendations.
As soon as the decisions are made, the team ratings are changed electronically and managers are sent an email (and/or a letter) confirming the decision.
to reply or add to a discussion or post your own message and start a new discussion. If you don't have a message board account, please register for a free nickname
. It will only take a moment.