» Latest news Sections: Obituaries | Tournaments | Womens' Corner | Editorials » For Advertisers: Editorial Calendar
Minnesota Honors Team in Hall of Fame
May 1, 2023
Softball News Report
A team that won several National Championships over more than a decade was inducted into the Minnesota Senior Sports Association Hall of Fame Banquet on May 19.
For 13 years, from 2002-2015, a team that was known under several sponsor names – Minnesota Coffee Cup, Minnesota Miken and Jimmy’s Minnesota Gold, (photo below) – chalked up seven national titles in the largest senior softball tournaments in the country.
MSSA inducted individuals from several sports at the 7th Annual Hall of Fame Banquet, including Norm Setnicker (photo below), 81, who plays on Minnesota Masters 75s.
The Minnesota team, led by manager Mick Lauber, won:
- The 2002 USSSA 65 division World Championship in Salem, Ore.
- The 2003 SSUSA 65 AAA World Championship in Mobile, Ala.
- The 2005, SPA 65 World Champions in Plano, Tex.
- The 2007 Senior Softball World Series 70 title in Des Moines, Iowa.
- The 2013 SSUSA 75 World Championships in Las Vegas.
- The 2014 Tournament of Champions in Lakeland, Florida.
- The 2015 the National Senior Games 75 Champion in Minneapolis.
“We are very happy for those who are being recognized for their excellent contributions to their sport,” said Senior Softball USA CEO Terry Hennessy, who introduced the team. “Even more important, they represent the best parts of all of us.”